Actualités > AWARD OF THE CONTRACT OF TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE TO IORA TO IMPLEMENT AND COORDINATE ITS ACTION PLAN ON FISHERIES, AQUACULTURE AND MARINE ENVIRONMENT
AWARD OF THE CONTRACT OF TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE TO IORA TO IMPLEMENT AND COORDINATE ITS ACTION PLAN ON FISHERIES, AQUACULTURE AND MARINE ENVIRONMENT
COFREPECHE has been awarded the contract of technical assistance to IORA (International Ocean Rim Association) for the implementation and coordination of IORA Blue Economy action plan. This project is financed by the French Development Agency (AFD) and will last in total three years.
The overall objective of the Technical Assistance (TA) is to “support IORA and its Member States in the coordination and implementation of the Action Plan on Blue Economy, with a strong focus on fisheries, aquaculture and protection of marine environment.”
The specific objectives of this project are the following :
- To combat IUU (illegal, unreported and unregulated) fishing in IORA region ;
- To promote sustainable fisheries management ;
- To promote sustainable aquaculture development ;
- To promote and implement open market access to fish trade, including aquaculture;
- To standardize Blue Carbon assessment methods in the Indian Ocean;
- To protect and conserve coastal and marine biodiversity through sustainable coastal and marine tourism;
- To assess the needs, capacities and capabilities of Member States in respect of the Blue Economy.
These objectives will be achieved through the implementation of various activities over the next 3 years with the support of long-term and short-term technical assistance based within the AFD premises in Mauritius.